Indelibly Stamped

Más
6 años 1 semana antes #24979 por Another Womans Man
Wanted to have a thread in this English forum dedicated to what is perhaps, the most underrated Supertramp album of all time, Indelibly Stamped!

It might be because I'm a diehard Rick Davies fan but I think this album is where Supertramp, and Rick as an artist truly arrives. In fact, the only thing I'd say that's missing from Rick's repertoire on this album are his progressive rock ambitions because his love for music hall and bluesy/jazzy melodies is fully present here.

I'm really surprised that songs like Your Poppa Don't Mind and Friend In Need weren't released as singles, I think they're certainly good enough and have great commercial potential but perhaps they're too retro sounding.

Roger Hodgson also had some good ones with Traveled (a dead on Crosby Stills and Nash impersonation) and Rosie Had Everything Planned, a touching murder ballad with some great accordion playing by Frank Farrell.

Perhaps it was the silliness of Potter and Coming Home To See You, that prevented this album from doing better. Both are good songs but the lyrics sound too much like the band was joking around. The latter even has a bum note played by Davies in the intro which I'm sure he did on purpose.

Also, hearing the ideal slow dance/wedding song, Forever, got me wondering. Was Supertramp's latest tour named after it? I would have loved if they were paying tribute to this album but somehow I doubt it. That would be too good to be true.

So what are your thoughts on this album?

Por favor, Identificarse o Crear cuenta para unirse a la conversación.

Más
6 años 1 semana antes #24981 por Abel
Respuesta de Abel sobre el tema Indelibly Stamped

Another Womans Man escribió: I'm really surprised that songs like Your Poppa Don't Mind and Friend In Need weren't released as singles

"Your poppa don't mind" was released as B-side for the single "Forever" in October 1971.

Más
6 años 1 semana antes - 6 años 1 semana antes #24982 por ax_esi
Respuesta de ax_esi sobre el tema Indelibly Stamped
Hi,

Maybe "Indelibly stamped" is a bit underated for most "casual ST fans", but in this forum, all of us are "freaky-tramps", and I don't think we underate it.

I love "Travelled", "Rosie" and "Potter". They're 3 of my fav ST tracks, and I'd include them in any playlist which was supposed to describe what ST is.

"Forever" is beautiful, "Coming" is fun and "Friend" always put me in a good mood.

"Poppa", "Times" and "Forever" are the weakests tracks to me, but they're also fine.

"Aries" is the most hated track in this forum by most of the members, but I DO LIKE IT. I think it has some "hippie-tramp" spirit, that makes it unique and wonderful. It's Supertramp by definition.

Another issue.

I don't know if you know the Forum section " Songs of Supertramp and Roger Hodgson ".

It's great because each post is intended to discuss our opinion of each ST song we're interested in (lyrics, music, etc.)

Until now, we've been discussing 3 of the Indelibly songs.

Times have changed

Rosie had everything planned

Coming home to see you

The only problem is that it's a spanish section and you'll have to deal with the bizarre google translator :silly:
Última Edición: 6 años 1 semana antes por ax_esi.
El siguiente usuario dijo gracias: Another Womans Man

Más
6 años 1 semana antes #24983 por supertrampas
Respuesta de supertrampas sobre el tema Indelibly Stamped
Oh Yeah!!! I love Coming home to see you, with the Choo Choo train :). And Forever, what a song. Rosie had everything planned, is a very good song. And, yes, I like Aries :)

Más
6 años 1 semana antes #24984 por octavio_esteban
Respuesta de octavio_esteban sobre el tema Indelibly Stamped
I love "Times have changed" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Más
6 años 1 semana antes #24986 por Another Womans Man
Respuesta de Another Womans Man sobre el tema Indelibly Stamped

ax_esi escribió: Hi,

Maybe "Indelibly stamped" is a bit underated for most "casual ST fans", but in this forum, all of us are "freaky-tramps", and I don't think we underate it.

I love "Travelled", "Rosie" and "Potter". They're 3 of my fav ST tracks, and I'd include them in any playlist which was supposed to describe what ST is.

"Forever" is beautiful, "Coming" is fun and "Friend" always put me in a good mood.

"Poppa", "Times" and "Forever" are the weakests tracks to me, but they're also fine.

"Aries" is the most hated track in this forum by most of the members, but I DO LIKE IT. I think it has some "hippie-tramp" spirit, that makes it unique and wonderful. It's Supertramp by definition.

Another issue.

I don't know if you know the Forum section " Songs of Supertramp and Roger Hodgson ".

It's great because each post is intended to discuss our opinion of each ST song we're interested in (lyrics, music, etc.)

Until now, we've been discussing 3 of the Indelibly songs.

Times have changed

Rosie had everything planned

Coming home to see you

The only problem is that it's a spanish section and you'll have to deal with the bizarre google translator :silly:

I like Aries because its a chance to hear the second incarnation of the Tramp jamming with each other. They're not bad. Rick is of course my favorite on the electric piano but I like Winthrop's mystical flute playing too. I wish there were more live recordings of them other than the poor Switzerland boot.

And I do like Times Have Changed a lot. Its like Rick's pessimistic version of Land Ho!

Oh I read tons of sections on this site with the translator and its not that bad. I just love seeing such avid discussion about one of my favorite bands. I'd love to add more but I don't want to degrade the worth of your conversations by posting broken Spanish from that translator. That's why I'm still happy Abel and Juan introduced this section of the site. Though I also don't want to just fill it up with my own personal threads either.

Tiempo de carga de la página: 0.256 segundos
Gracias a Foro Kunena