In praise of Some things never change

Más
6 años 2 semanas antes #24955 por Another Womans Man
I bought Some Things Never Change recently and had mixed feelings about it the first time I heard it. At first I thought it was way too long and it sounded a bit overproduced with too many tracks going into long grooves. But you know, it has grown on me substantially and I'm starting to think it's one of the most underrated Supertramp albums along with Indelibly Stamped.

Despite all the long jazzy grooves, its a very diverse album with a song that sounds like a great Breakfast In America outtake, (You Win, I Lose) a song that sounds like a cousin of Crisis What Crisis' song Poor Boy, (Get Your Act Together) a slowly building blues track, (Help Me Down The Road) a Santana style song (Sooner or Later) a white funk song with a catchy chorus and great solos by Hart and Davies, (title track) a beautiful song that musically reminds me of Bob Dylan and The Band's I Will Be Released, (And The Light) a gospel track (Where there's A Will) and two prog-soul influenced tracks which I think are the best on the album (C'est What, Listen To Me Please).

All in all, its a very diverse listening experience and while I think some of the lesser tracks should have been regulated to the single for You Win, I Lose. I'm very happy I bought it. This album was a wonderful comeback from Free As A Bird.

Por favor, Identificarse o Crear cuenta para unirse a la conversación.

Más
6 años 2 semanas antes - 6 años 2 semanas antes #24956 por ax_esi
Respuesta de ax_esi sobre el tema In praise of Some things never change
Hi,

Welcome (or welcome back) to the forum.

I partially agree with you regarding STNC.

It's maybe a bit underrated, but IMHO, it lacks that spark of other albums.

My fav is the first one "It's a hard world". It's hypnotic, a bit sad and dark, but it's very different and original.

Regarding the production, I think it's perfect and crystalline. Not overproduced.

I think that only "Slow motion" album is weaker than this one. "Indelibly stamped" is outstanding ("Rosie", "Travelled", "Potter", ...)

This is not related about Hodgson's leaving ST, In fact, I think "Brother where you bound" is one of the best ST's albums. But, since "Free as a bird" I think it has been a bit "downhill" (do you use this expression?)

...or maybe you're right, and it's a good oportunity to give one more shot to STNC. Maybe I'll do it ;)
Última Edición: 6 años 2 semanas antes por ax_esi.
El siguiente usuario dijo gracias: Another Womans Man

Más
6 años 2 semanas antes #24957 por Another Womans Man
Thanks for the response my friend.

I do know what you mean by lacking a spark, the album is not very dynamic sounding and also I do feel its below all the Rick and Roger albums plus Brother. Still, I do find Davies melodic talent hadn't completely abandoned him in 1997. He definitely made an album that he wanted to make with plenty of genres that weren't in league with trends of the 90s and I respect him a lot for that.

Oh and I forgot to mention its a Hard World, which is definitely hypnotic and manages to be quite engaging for a 9 minute song. It has a great slow groove to it.

I definitely feel Some Things Never Change is an album that gets better with more listens. I felt very lukewarm with it the first two times I listened to it but I think it was mostly the volume of material I had to process. I'd say give it another shot if you can :)
El siguiente usuario dijo gracias: ax_esi

Más
6 años 2 semanas antes #24958 por octavio_esteban
Hello;
I waited almost ten years for a new St álbum since FAAB was recorded. STNC came and I was very dissapointedat the beggining. But the more I listen it, the more I love it. The album is plenty of very good songs, and I feel like is a compendium of all St music...It´s a hard world is great; Live to love you, And the light and Live to love you are two lovely ballads; the song Some things never change remember me the style of Crime of the century; Where there´s a will GREAT song, etc,. Underrated álbum? Sure! I think is one of the best St productions!
Kind regards

Más
6 años 2 semanas antes #24964 por Another Womans Man

octavio_esteban escribió: Hello;
I waited almost ten years for a new St álbum since FAAB was recorded. STNC came and I was very dissapointedat the beggining. But the more I listen it, the more I love it. The album is plenty of very good songs, and I feel like is a compendium of all St music...It´s a hard world is great; Live to love you, And the light and Live to love you are two lovely ballads; the song Some things never change remember me the style of Crime of the century; Where there´s a will GREAT song, etc,. Underrated álbum? Sure! I think is one of the best St productions!
Kind regards

I felt the same way when I first heard it but it has grown on me and I expect it to continue to. I forgot to mention Live to Love You which is very lovely and also a great sequel to Oh Darling in terms of balladtry. Rick may not be as known for his ballads as Roger but he's still got some good ones up his sleeve.

Más
6 años 1 semana antes #24974 por octavio_esteban
Hello!
I think Rick has more ballads tan Roger. Let me think a litlle:
1) Summer romance
2) Times have changed
3) From now on
4) Oh Darling
5) Bonnie
6) Ever open door
7) Free as a bird
8) You started laughing
9) And the light
10) Live to love you
11) Where there´s a will
12) Slow motion
13) Over you

Enough to a solo lovely concert....

Tiempo de carga de la página: 0.160 segundos
Gracias a Foro Kunena