John Helliwell y "Ever Open Door"

Más
3 años 10 meses antes #27120 por Abel
Nuestro saxofonista favorito publica un nuevo álbum como solista:

www.thelogicalweb.com/mas-contenidos/not...um-en-solitario.html
El siguiente usuario dijo gracias: Supercarlos, MBG

Por favor, Identificarse o Crear cuenta para unirse a la conversación.

Más
3 años 10 meses antes #27121 por Oswald
Respuesta de Oswald sobre el tema John Helliwell y "Ever Open Door"
Dos dudas

El Washing of the water es una versión de Peter Gabriel?

¿El single que se presenta el 22 de mayo no está en el disco?

Qué bien!!! Lo pillaremos.
El siguiente usuario dijo gracias: Supercarlos

Más
3 años 10 meses antes - 3 años 10 meses antes #27123 por ax_esi
Respuesta de ax_esi sobre el tema John Helliwell y "Ever Open Door"
Es curioso cómo visualizamos cada uno las cosas (como cuando leemos un libro e imaginamos a los personajes)

Si yo hubiera tenido que hacer la portada del single "Ever open door" siempre me imaginé el marco de una puerta en medio de un campo de flores en un día de primavera (como el refrán de "poner puertas al campo").

Esta portada es más siniestra y enigmática, pero me gusta mucho también
Última Edición: 3 años 10 meses antes por ax_esi.

Más
3 años 10 meses antes #27124 por Abel
Respuesta de Abel sobre el tema John Helliwell y "Ever Open Door"

Oswald escribió: El Washing of the water es una versión de Peter Gabriel?

Sí, se trata de una versión del tema de Gabriel.

Oswald escribió: ¿El single que se presenta el 22 de mayo no está en el disco?

Sí, son dos canciones que no están en el álbum.

Esto es lo que ha dicho John sobre cada una de las canciones:

If Everyone Was Listening
I was impressed with this Roger Hodgson song at my first rehearsal with Supertramp in July 1973. It subsequently appeared on our album Crime Of The Century.

Gather The Spirit
Bob Mintzer included this Jim Scott composition on his album Quality Time and Andy Scott (no relation to Jim) arranged it for Bob to play with a string orchestra at the 2015 Hong Kong Summer Jazz Festival. Andy recently distilled his orchestral arrangement to four string players, saxophone and Hammond organ.

Lord Stackhouse
This tune was originally written for me by Andy Scott and was featured on his Sax Assault album Sax Of Gold in 2007. In the mid 1990s I lived in a house called Stack House, on Stackhouse Lane, in Stackhouse, North Yorkshire, so, when I was looking for an email address, I thought that lordstackhouse would be apt! The ballad is a challenge, mainly due to its complex chords.

Del Soldato In Trincea
This poignant tune was written by Paulo Fresu for Ermanno Olmi’s 2014 film Torneranno i Prati (Greenery Will Bloom Again), a tribute to the suffering of Italian soldiers in the First World War. I was introduced to it by Raimondo Meli Lupi, who featured it on his album 1000 Papaveri Rossi.

It Seemed That Life Was So Wonderful
Inspired by “Gather The Spirit,” Andy Scott and I decided to write a gospel-style tune. The title comes from the second half of the first line of Supertramp's “The Logical Song.” Violinist Simmy Singh contributes a stylish improvisation.

Washing Of The Water
Peter Gabriel’s glimpse into his secret world has unconventional percussion provided by the string players. The clarinet reflects Gabriel’s refined melody, while the stronger saxophone comes in around two thirds of the way through, improvising over the part where Gabriel sings “Letting go, it’s so hard, the way it’s hurting now” in his version. Violinist Rakhi Singh has the last line, where Gabriel sings, “Bring me something to take this pain away.”

Aquarelle
Andy Scott’s beautiful ballad features the quartet playing the entire tune, followed by my improvising. After the strings and the organ recapitulate the melody, I join them in the coda.

The Lads In Their Hundreds
A. E. Housman’s poem of young men leaving for the Boer War was set to music by George Butterworth, who, tragically, like many of the lads in their hundreds, was killed in the Battle of the Somme in 1914. I first heard it sung by June Tabor with Iain Ballamy and Hugh Warren in the group Quercus. This version is completely improvised by me, John Ellis and Ashok Klouda — no music, no rehearsal!

Lullaby For Channing
Mark Hart, my Supertramp colleague, wrote this beautiful melody at a sorrowful time in his life, a simple statement of which is appropriate.

Ever Open Door
The lyrics of Rick Davies’s sad song begin with “Sharing’s good, sharing’s fine / But no one wants to share this world of mine.” They conclude with a glimmer of hope: “I’ll keep a welcome outside my door.”

The Wayfaring Stranger
I have heard many versions of this 19th-century American folk elegy, from Johnny Cash to Charlie Haden. The melody is simply stated before Andy Scott’s arrangement takes the strings to a more complex harmonic world — eventually returning to earth.

Waly Waly
A couple of years ago a friend asked me to play at his daughter’s church wedding. When I found out that there was to be a string quartet playing as well, I asked Andy Scott if he would write an arrangement for the five of us. It was received enthusiastically by the congregation! This proved to be the spark that kindled this entire project.

The Ballad Of The Sad Young Men
One of my favourite tunes. It first came to my attention played by the Keith Jarrett Trio. Subsequently, I have enjoyed versions by Kurt Elling and Boz Scaggs, but the true inspiration came from hearing it superbly played by Ernie Watts on his 2009 album Four Plus Four.

Father O’Shea
I first heard this tune played by Charlie Haden on plucked double bass with his quartet and a string orchestra under the title “The Left Hand Of God,” also the title of a 1955 film with music by Victor Young. On investigating, I found that the tune is, in fact, a musical portrait of Humphrey Bogart’s character in the film, Jim Carmody, masquerading as a priest, Father O’Shea.

Más
3 años 10 meses antes #27125 por supertrampas
Respuesta de supertrampas sobre el tema John Helliwell y "Ever Open Door"
Muy buena e interesantísima noticia.

Un apunte: a mi siempre me ha gustado esta cancion Ever Open Door y la he escuchado siempre en tono muy alto (que suene) y que ha pasado sin mucha pena ni gloria en BWYB, bien como relleno, bien como opúsculo, bien como no gran cosa. Pero ha sido enaltecida por Bob en alguna ocasión y ahora homenajeada por John.

Abel, ¿qué podemos decir de esta canción que no sepamos ya o que sí sepamos?
El siguiente usuario dijo gracias: Supercarlos, aivalaos

Más
3 años 10 meses antes #27126 por Oswald
Respuesta de Oswald sobre el tema John Helliwell y "Ever Open Door"
Ever open door me gusta mucho y me parece genial este pequeño homenaje de John.
Serían interesantes unas palabritas de Rick al respecto, aparte de Bob, claro, aunque quizá de este último cuando haya salido el disco y pueda dar la opinión.

Sobre Washing of the water, me deja de piedra John, aunque confirma que el tío está con la antena siempre y no se le escapa lo bueno.
Es una canción espectacular. En la versión que os pego, Peter Gabriel canta que pone la piel de gallina.
Claro que Peter Gabriel es el mejor artista en solitario que jamás ha habido y sí, tengo en cuenta a Bowie, Prince, Bruce, Michael...

Su figura es grandiosa, descomunal, aunque la abaratara en Barcelona cuando vino con la gira de Amnistía Internacional diciendo que venía a denunciar el crímen de El Nani. Da igual, lo que ha hecho en la música es lo importante. Por cierto, mucha gente no es del todo consciente: Genesis, carrerón en solitario de una calidad absoluta (y despreciando modas), música étnica, vídeos memorables con unas técnicas que todo el mundo intentó copiar, concepto en vivo que le han plagiado muchísimos (el propio Phil Collins, que reconoce en su bío que Gabriel ha compuesto canciones que le gustaría haber compuesto a él)...
Al propio Phil Collins le catapultó a la fama. Le usó de batería en su disco Scratch, en el que prohibio cualquier platillo en la batería. Collins se volvió loco, pero se quedó con la copla de unos efectos usados en una canción llamada Intruder. Usó esos efectos al máximo para crear su redoble más famoso: la entrada de In the air tonight. El propio Phil reconoce que le pidió a su productor (el mismo, Hugh Padgham) que metiera esos efectos hasta la exageración.

Os recomiendo el vídeo de abajo, con Manu Katche a la batería, Tony Levin al bajo, Rahvi Shankar al violín y el violinista midi ese que es un pasote tb.

El siguiente usuario dijo gracias: Supercarlos, ax_esi

Tiempo de carga de la página: 0.164 segundos
Gracias a Foro Kunena